A championship match worthy of the sport.
Huge congrats to Hawai'i for their historic run the last 4 years.
And to UCLA for claiming their 20th trophy for MVB.
Statistically, I think the best way to summarize is:
They are who we thought they were
- JR Norris came off the bench with a massive serving and attacking night, adding +0.257 and +0.469pts above expected respectively
- Ido David is always a strong attacker, but posted a huge blocking performance last night, slowing Hawai'i by nearly 600pts, that's crazy.
- Alex Knight and Ethan Champlin are always steady in reception, attacking, and from the service line and kept Rowan in-system most of the night
- Troy Gooch was who we thought he was, unfailingly great in reception, adding 0.142pts above expected per pass
- Guillherme Voss and Cole Hogland had their typically super productive offensive nights, hitting 200-300pts above expectation
- Off night for Dimitrios Mouchlias's serving, but characteristically strong attacking (+136) and blocking performance (-0.207), and a reason why UCLA utilized Ido David so frequently in-system
- Big night for Hawai'i defensively, with multiple players adding huge value digging tough balls
- Jakob Thelle with a strong setting performance, but slower serving/attacking night compared to what we're accustomed to seeing from him